Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Stereotypical Media Setting

This post generally relates to my last one, and I’m trying to keep it different, so bear with me! This is a media issue that has bothered me for a long time now, and it’s really hard to watch a movie or TV show without seeing this. Unfortunately it’s everywhere and anywhere. So here it is.

 One of the things that bothers me in movies, TV shows, books, etc, is that the usual setting is a fancy house in California, or some high class setting with privileged people who have problems with their life. Now I know that many shows are filmed in LA, a fancy area, or a movie studio; but it seems like every show has lost the interest to portray what real people look like.

America does consist of many upper class people, and it appears that the point that studios are trying to prove is “The American Dream.” Is it a staple for films to portray people always aiming for things bigger and better? As I addressed in my last post, media seems to think America’s definition of dreams is just material wealth, and apparently that’s the way we like it. Even in kids movies you see kids living in nice houses with lawyer parents and country club lives, and think, “I sure don’t relate to them.” Even in TV shows trying to portray a middle class family, it always comes out as high-class.

Take commercials for example. Even though a nice life in a nice house is what some Americans want, it still doesn’t mean that you have to flaunt it with your extravagant things. It seems that every commercial is based in a fancy mansion with perfect families and lives. Too many car commercials are showing rich businessmen who have trophy wives and good-looking children, and not enough real family interaction. I always prefer the less expensive car brand commercials because of this. I understand that commercials are meant to appeal to people, but how can it appeal to us if it’s so far from the lives we live now?

This is the stereotypical setting for a car commercial. “Show off and be look cool.” Is what this Lexus ad seems to say.

As I said before, too many kids shows are showing rich families and not enough realistic portrayals. It bothers me that half the shows on Disney Channel show kids with big houses and trendy clothes. I can see the point they are trying to make though: “Work hard and you can achieve your dreams, and be where you want to be.” But somehow I think Disney Channel lacks diversity when it comes to what people want in life. Shows like Jessie, The Thundermans, Lab Rats, Hannah Montana, Liv and Maddie, and more, all seem to have a similar plot line where all the kids live in nice big houses and want to become singers and dancers, and only seek stardom. I do love Disney Channel, and many of their shows are great. I just wish they had a more realistic setting.
It seems that much of Disney Channel’s content only promotes kids who want to be in show business.

As for the books I mentioned, I can’t say that many fit my topic. Books are a whole different world than movies and TV, and there can be much more diversity in books than movies, and maybe that’s why we love them. I think sometimes it’s right to place main characters in a typically wealthy world, and sometimes it’s not. Sometimes people don’t like to be reminded of their lives, and that movies are a way we can escape the harsh realities of life. They are for entertainment, and something we can look up to, no matter if it’s realistic or not. Only some movies are true to life, and those are the ones that make us feel good.


Again, this is just my opinion, and we are all entitled to our own. Sometimes I even think my own opinions are wrong, and that’s the beauty of it. J Thanks for reading!

~ Governess Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment