Thursday, September 25, 2014

Realistic Characters in Harry Potter

This blog post, I’m going to talk about one of my favorite things: Harry Potter. The books, not the character. I’ll even try to save you from my ranting about how good the series is. Also, I’ll try to keep this post spoiler-free, for those who haven't read it yet (although you really should read it).
There are many reasons that I like Harry Potter, although most of them are not relevant to this blog. One thing I like is that all of the female characters are pretty realistic. None of them can do everything themselves, and none of them are total wimps. Hermione is smart, but she isn’t an antisocial nerd who doesn’t have any friends except for Harry and Ron. She also isn’t someone who cares overly much about fashion or what people think of her. She’s always in the library or doing her homework, but she still has time for having fun with her friends.
Luna Lovegood
Luna is another character that I like. She doesn't care about what anyone else thinks about her. If she wants to wear a dress that makes her look like a Christmas tree, or radish earrings, she will, and she won't care what anyone else thinks about her. I like the fact that she doesn’t care what anyone else thinks, and it’s so different from what a lot of the media is showing. Not many other places show people, especially girls, who just don't care what anyone else thinks. Most people will just try to be accepted, but Luna will be who she is, and no one else will stop her. She doesn’t try to change who she is, even when everyone else thinks she’s weird for it, and I really like that about her. I really like that all of the characters in Harry Potter seem like they could be real to me. None of them always have to save the day all the time, but none of them are helpless or stupid. Another thing is that whenever the characters are talked about, the immediate thing isn’t always that they’re pretty. It’s true that if someone tell you that you’re pretty, it is a complement, but saying how smart you are is a much better complement. I’d far rather be told that I did something well than basically be told that I inherited good genes. I think that the thing that I love most is just the fact that all of the characters are realistic, and they all have their own personalities.

--Luna

No comments:

Post a Comment