Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Pocket Crisis and a Vomiting Glitter Isle

Whenever I look in the girls' section at a department store, I always feel a sense of disappointment. What I see is an assault of color and glitter, so that it looks like a glitter isle vomited on that section of the store. A few things are actually cute, even if they do have bright colors and glitter, but there aren't just a few things like that, it's everything. There is nothing wrong with a sparkly shirt in bright colors, but if you want a more toned down shirt, then your options are pretty much athletic gear or school uniforms. The store Justice is a perfect example. Everything has glitter, ruffles, lace, blinding colors, or all of the above. Some of those things do look nice, but when I see the boys' section, I feel a bit jealous.
The store Justice, where everything is
in blinding colors.
Boys have shirts with planets, math, dinosaurs, or even just nice colors. I would like a shirt with the solar system or some other science- related thing on it, but there aren't any shirts like that in Target or other stores where I shop often. Lands' End recently came out with some space themed shirts for girls, and I was really excited. When I looked, however, I was disappointed. It seemed that they had decided to compromise between the other girls' shirts and space shirts by ramping up the glitter. Apparently, they hadn't figured out that (gasp) not every girl likes glitter. Astonishing, I know. Some of the shirts did look nice with glitter, but I don't really like the glitter, and I would have liked the shirts if they didn't have glitter. When I searched Amazon for “space” in the girls' section, I found a few costumes for little kids, not gender specific, and a few other space shirts for little girls. When I searched for space in the boys' section, I found shirts, coats, pajamas, and a whole lot of other cool stuff. This post wasn't supposed to be about how I like space, but I don't think that people should have to settle for wearing stuff that they sort of like because they can't find anything else. I, personally, would like a shirt that has a nice pattern but still doesn't scream glitter, and that's really hard to find in the kids' sizes.
Another thing that really bothers me about women's and girl's clothing is the lack of pockets. It's true that some jeans are too fitted to have good pockets and still look nice, but even on pants that aren't very fitted, there are hardly ever good pockets. Once I had a pair of black pants from Target, and they were labeled “essential pants”. Of course there were a lot of jokes about that, especially since there weren't any pockets. If you look in the boys' section you could fit a small book in those pockets, and here are girls without any pockets at all. It's annoying that girls apparently can't like science or carry anything that isn't in a bag, especially since men who carry bags are made fun of.
--Luna

2 comments:

  1. Agree with you 100%! A few weeks ago, I was at Target looking for knee-length shorts(needed them for church camp). I knew it would be a lost cause looking in the women's section, so I looked in the girls' section and found one pair that was sort of knee-length, but was really poorly made, had teeny-tiny pockets, and had nauseating embroidery and rhinestones all over. Then my sister suggested we look in the boys section, and as soon as we walked in there, we found shorts that were the proper length, were well-made, had several large pockets, and actually looked nice. The only way you could've told that they were boy shorts was that they weren't covered in sparkly embellishments. It's kind of ridiculous. I shouldn't have to look in the boys' section to find a practical, comfortable article of clothing. You can have the flimsy stuff covered in sparkles too, for those who like wearing that stuff, but I agree with your statement that someone shouldn't be forced into wearing something they kind of like just because it's all that's available. Kind of makes me mad, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's infuriating how girls pants aren't allowed to have pockets. I mean when the pants do come with pockets, the only thing that will fit is a lipstick or a pocket knife (and everything falls out really easily too). Another thing that bothers me is mens dress shoes vs. womens. I mean the dress shoes in the mens section are comfortable and functional, but all women get are heels, heels and more heels. I mean if there was a fire at an office or a formal gathering the women wouldn't be able to run in those shoes. Totally unfair.

    -- Capt. Sarah Jane

    ReplyDelete